Thursday, August 23, 2007

Calexico

In the process of merging two worlds, the contact often occurs more as a collision than a smooth merge, which can make some sparks and cause some friction. But rather than a boring business transaction, a collision can be quite exciting and invigorating. And it requires a lot of patience and understanding. And maybe some humility.

A little over a week ago I engaged in a lengthy late-night conversation that concluded with the resolution to "make it work." Making "it" work certainly requires work, especially when we're still floating a little trying to figure out the foundation of our relationship, where our common interests lie, wondering if we even have common interests . . . Although I don't fully understand everything she's all about, I'm completely committed to trying to understand, to supporting and loving her. Sometimes this means making mild sacrifices, like watching High School Musical 2.

Sometimes I feel like the sacrificing is one-sided. I try to not let that bother me. I'm still trying to learn the principle of selflessness. I constantly find myself out of my comfort zone with her, and I try to roll with it.

I'd been planning to go to a concert with some mission buddies for about a week and was disappointed to learn she couldn't come. But then in a brilliant stroke of luck her schedule became available, and I was very excited to take her. About three hours before the show I got a text saying she might not be able to go. That'll deflate you in a hurry. Some other opportunities had arisen that night, and it looked as if she was going to take a rain check. I'd be lying to say I wasn't disappointed. I recall some selfish thoughts crossing my mind, She's always trying to please people, to make them happy, but I rarely feel like I'm one of those people. Now of course such a notion is completely unfounded, she's been going out of her way to make me happy, especially recently. But all the same I couldn't help but feel like she was bailing.

Then I was very surprised when we called for the final verdict and she replied that she was going to the show with us. Suddenly my whole perspective shifted as I contemplated the fact that she was making a sacrifice that night. Concerts don't necessarily give her the same charge that I get out of them. She certainly doesn't appreciate the drinking and smoking and questionable company that typically occur at shows. But she came anyway, and she seemed to enjoy herself, even though she probably would've rather gone Salsa dancing. Luckily the band we saw had a great deal of Southwestern influences, so she was able to get some of that Spanish flare in as she moved to the music. The whole evening for me was quite wonderful, even if some people flaked out or things didn't go completely as planned. I was just glad she was there, plus that band played a sweet set.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home