Thursday, January 27, 2005

Tragedy

I have never felt so sad in my entire life. I blew it.

Have you ever felt so devastated that you wanted to throw up? So depressed that you kick and rant and rave like a three-year-old throwing a temper tantrum? Okay, at the risk of this sounding like a "slit-my-wrists-emo-live-journal" entry, I'm gonna just get to the story and stop complaining.

Yesterday I was dutifully typing a biology essay on my computer, when I got a phone call from a good friend who was in distress. She needed three paper cups. Being the benevolent person that I am, I came to the rescue with three stolen paper cups which I obtained from my roommate. I then proceeded to talk to my friend for the good part of an hour.

Upon returning to my computer to continue the essay, I noticed that I'd received an e-mail from Death Cab for Cutie. I've been on the mailing list for quite some time, and I assumed it was a standard update or newsletter of some sort. Curious, I opened the e-mail and almost peed my pants.

The e-mail was an announcement that Ben Gibbard, my idol, was performing an acoustic set at an exclusive Sundance film festival concert. The e-mail stated that the first five people to respond would have the opportunity to attend. My heart began to race and I felt the chaos of panic erupt in my head. My eyes darted to the time when I received the e-mail: 4:40 p.m. I glanced at the time on the monitor: 5:30 p.m. I'd missed the e-mail by almost an hour!

I hurriedly rushed an e-mail and sent it, begging them to let me go. I then sat in terror for the next half hour, until I received an e-mail back, stating that I would be unable to attend because I was not one of the five first respondents. Cue stomach convulsions and near epileptic shock.

For the next hour I was a victim of my imagination. I thought back over the last two hours -- how I could've been at the computer when the e-mail arrived. I would've been the first person to respond! I would be going to the most amazing concert of my life. It could potentially be the most amazing experience of my life! I would probably never see Ben Gibbard perform again. These sobering thoughts triggered more spasms and screams. I nearly tore my hair out.

As the night progressed my system never really returned to status quo. I felt like I was in a coma, like I'd overdosed on Lithium. I was given to fits of giddiness and inexplicable fainting. It was out of control.

Then, there was a light at the end of the tunnel. A thought suddenly crossed my mind which had a very calming and comforting effect on me. As I repeated the thought over and over in my mind, I became more and more convinced. The thought? Any concert in Park City that has an exclusive A-list of celebs and guests is bound to be held in only one type of venue -- a club, which almost certainly serves alcohol. 21 and older. And I'm only 18. I finally got some sleep.


1 Comments:

Blogger Courtney Bodily said...

As the assisted friend mentioned in this blog... I would like to publically apologize for any physical, mental and (most importantly) spiritual harm you went through. I truly am sorry... but thanks for the cups

Courtney

5:05 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home