Saturday, March 19, 2005

I Heart Bikes

I recently watched one of the most brilliant films of 2004, I Heart Huckabees. The show follows the story of several intertwined characters and their existentialist crises. Hilarious. I definitley recommend that movie. Mark Wahlberg gives the performance of his career as a vulnerable firefighter with a chip on his shoulder from multiple runins with a cruel universe. Laugh-out-loud funny people.

Anyways, in the movie Mark Wahlberg and Jason Schwartzman become buddies and refuse to use cars because petroleum, the ultimate evil, pollutes and damages the environment. Instead they ride bicycles everywhere. One of the funniest scenes shows Mark Wahlberg responding to a firecall, but he refuses to ride the truck and instead opts to ride his bike to the burning home. Wahlberg's co-workers get stuck in gridlock and he beats them to the home in time to save the resident, Naomi Watts (don't go see Ring 2, it sucked. Blew bevin.). I won't ruin the ending, but it's brilliant.

So after my friend and I watched this movie, we decided to go on a bike ride at 10:30 p.m. He lives in West Bountiful, a rural suburb of Salt Lake City. We first determined to bike to the local golf course. As we began discussing all of our life issues and ideas, we realized that this conversation would extend far past the golf course, and we continued to ride.

It felt amazing to just pedal and philosophize and drink Gatorade. Phenomenal. Eventually we rolled into North Salt Lake, no short distance, and realized I had a flat tire. The ride back was grueling, especially with the wind against me, not to mention I was wearing flip flops and it was 40 degrees outside. It was all worth it though, and I'll remember those good times forever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home